CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, August 23, 2010

The Wizard of ECE

What education blog would be complete without a clever acronym?  I am really quite smug about my brilliance in creating this acronym, so please don't rain on my parade by saying you don't like it or something.  

Pre-K P.L.E.A.S.E. (Physical, Linguistic, Emotional, Academic, & Social Education) was my little way of reminding myself about all the different areas that needed to be included in my Pre-Kindergarten classroom on a daily basis.  By keeping gross motor skills, language, emotional and social development equal to academic learning, students will get a well-balanced education that is more age-appropriate, rather than if you focus primarily on academics. 

A little about me: 

1)  BIO:  I am a graduate of Louisiana State University and majored in communications.  I taught Kindergarten and Pre-Kindergarten in an inner-city school in Los Angeles, California and have a Masters degree from Loyola Marymount University in Elementary Education (Pre-K - 6th grade).  I am currently a stay-at-home mom to 2 boys and I run my own wall art business.  I am also a Learning Team Leader for Teach for America South Louisiana corps members in early childhood classrooms (which is why I was inspired to write this blog). 

2)  I am not an expert on education, early childhood, or psychology, nor will I ever claim to be.  Theories on education and educational practices are ever-evolving and there is no way that I could ever keep up with the times.  I want this blog to be used as a resource for you to help create an inspiring and high-achieving learning environment for your little ones.

3)  I am not a revolutionary.  I firmly believe that it is not necessary to even TRY to reinvent the wheel.  I don't try, I don't think you should try, and I anyone who claims to have reinvented the wheel was at least inspired by a similar-looking wheel.  All of my tips of the trade have been tested in an early childhood classroom and worked for me, so they will work for everyone... NOT.  Take my ideas and run with them if you find something you like, tweak them for your own unique teaching-style, classroom, school and students, and reflect on their effectiveness in your classroom.  If they work for you, share your new accomplishments with your fellow teachers because sharing is a skill we teach our students and we should do it too.

4)  I'm not a wizard... just in case you were wondering.

No comments:

Post a Comment